The STA Participation Program was developed to assist in fundraising activities or to provide cost saving services for the school in return for a reduction of the Participation fee. Once your child has been admitted to the school, as a member of the STA Community, you are required to participate in various activities of the school, including fundraising. If you are not able to participate in these activities, you will be assessed a penalty fee (CISVA Policy 404.5). There are a limited number of full time participation positions, however, seasonal and part time credits are available throughout the school year. Volunteer credits are managed through our online Parent Participation system which can be accessed by clicking here.
Approximately 60 - 90 hours per year per family is required for full credit. (60 hours for $650 fee/one student or 90 hours for $1,000 fee/2 or more students). There is a maximum of one full credit per family. Participation begins September 1st and ends June 30th. (except for School Outdoor Maintenance which is required throughout the summer and for some coordinator positions).
There are some services that typically do not earn credits, like driving or chaperoning students, baking or cooking, attending parent association meetings or help at certain graduation events.
The Regional Education Committee may update which volunteer activities qualify for credits on an annual basis depending on the needs of the school in the given year.
There are four main areas where participation credits are available:
1. Cafeteria: The cafeteria is operated by an independent caterer in cooperation with the school administration. A paid kitchen manager looks after the day-to-day operations and determines what daily tasks are required by our volunteers. Volunteers must be able to commit to the regular hours, as outlined on the application form. Duties include assisting with food preparation, serving and clean-up. This position operates from September to June on days when the cafeteria is open to students. A lead Cafeteria/Traffic Coordinator provides a schedule for all participants.
2. School Maintenance: (Indoor and outdoor) Maintenance jobs generally involve grounds keeping – grass cutting and weeding. Due to the nature of the work and because the grounds are divided into sections, participation credits are awarded based on the completion of assigned tasks, rather than on an hourly basis. Much of the work is weather dependent, so some assignments need to be completed during the summer months with much less work required in January and February. The lead Maintenance Coordinator provides each participant with a schedule of assigned tasks.
3. Traffic Supervision: Participants monitor and supervise the front and back parking and driveway areas of the school during drop-off and pick-up times. A lead Cafeteria/Traffic Coordinator provides a schedule for all participants.
4. Seasonal / Partial: There are a number of events which take place during the school year where parents can earn Participation credits. Examples include Walk-a-thon, Christmas Craft Fair, semi-annual yard clean-ups and International Night. Full credit is awarded to selected Chairs for some of these events (pending application). The Chair positions require previous experience in the particular event and are awarded at the discretion of the Regional Education Committee and/or the Parent Participation Coordinators. Partial credits can also be earned for these events. Notice of eligible events is through the Parent Participation online system. You must be registered with the online system in order to review new positions available. To register, click here and then click “Register for New Account” and follow the instructions. If you have any difficulty registering, please email the Parent Participation Coordinator at: email@example.com.
Policies Governing the Participation Program:
Full Credit Positions
- Approximately 60 - 90 hours per year per family is required for full credit. (60 hours for $650 fee/one student or 90 hours for $1,000 fee/2 or more students). Full credit positions are primarily cafeteria, traffic supervision and school maintenance, although there may be others as approved by the Regional Education Committee.
- There is a maximum of one full credit per family.
- Full credit positions for the coming year, are assigned by the end of the current school year. Existing volunteers with full credit positions will be given the first opportunity to continue with the position in the following school year. If a full credit position becomes vacant because an existing volunteer is not returning to the position, the vacant position will be posted through the Parent Participation online system (see link above). Parents may apply for the position per the instructions in the online system and applicants will be informed by email once a decision has been made.
- Participation begins September 1st and ends June 30th. (except for School Maintenance and some coordinator positions)
- For full time positions, monthly cheques or bank account draws will not be made by STA for as long as the position is held and volunteers complete their required tasks. There are a limited number of full time participation positions. Only those able to commit the required time should apply for a full credit participation position
Seasonal / Part-time Credit Positions
The number of available hours varies depending on the position.
Part time participants must apply for credits for seasonal/part-time volunteer activities through the online volunteer system. Please click here and you will be directed to the portal. If you are already registered, then just login and go to the “Activities” tab and click “Ad Hoc” and submit an ad-hoc request for the hours you have completed. There are “how-to” videos on the site (click “how-to” at the top of the page) that provide detailed instructions for how to submit an ad-hoc request. If you are not yet registered with the online system please click here and then click “Register for New Account” and follow the instructions. If you have any difficulty registering or applying for credits (after reviewing the “how-to” video), please email the Parent Participation Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All seasonal hours must be submitted by June 1st.
- If there is a balance of 4 or fewer hours at the end of the school year (June 15th), no credit or refund is given.
For full information regarding Parent Participation Program please email the coordinator at: email@example.com.
We thank you for your time and energy to support our school!